Candles are great but can be astronomically expensive.
That’s where making your own makes sense. If you’re willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in, there are some amazing candles you can make that may even rival one of those fancy Yankee Candles!
Do-it-yourself candle making is a fun and fulfilling hobby too. Whether it’s your own home you’d like to brighten, or other people’s, a homemade candle is always a welcome gift.
While shop-bought candles are often pleasant enough, those crafted by yourself have the benefits of your chosen scents, shapes, as well as tins and even stickers of your choice. On top of this, candle-making kits often use natural wax, which is non-toxic and ethical.
In this article, we let you in on which are best candle making kits available today. Let’s get cracking, shall we?
At a Glance – Our Choice of the Best Candle Making Kits On the Market
- CraftZee Complete DIY Candle Making Kit (Best Overall)
- Nature’s Blossom Kit (Best Premium)
- YRYM HT Candle Making Kit (Best Budget)
- DIY Soy Candle Making Kit
- Yinuo Light
- Kraftzlab (Best for Kids)
- 23 Bees
Note: The links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Amazon. If you do purchase something we get a small commission, which has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What Will You Typically Find in a Candle Making Kit?
- Benefits of Making Your Own Candles
- Product Round-up and Reviews – Best Candle Making Kits
What Will You Typically Find in a Candle Making Kit?
So what should you expect to get in one of these kits? Well here are the typical items you’d expect to find, but it does vary from one to the other, so see the reviews further down the page.
- Wax, varying by type (soy wax, beeswax, etc.) and amount
- Melting pot
- Wicks (usually cotton, but sometimes other materials such as hemp)
- Bow clips
- Dye blocks
- Jars and tins of different sizes (e.g. for tealights)
- Carving tools
- Temperature gauge
Benefits of Making Your Own Candles
If you’re not already sold, the benefits of making your own candles.
Compared to buying ready-made candles, making your own candles works out a lot more cost-effective.
Buying a kit is cost-effective too, as buying all the components you see on the list above, such as individual molds, can quickly stack up.
Like many crafts, candle making is also great therapy. As you create, feel your worries drift away. While you focus on the task, quite literally, in hand, your mind will become absorbed, leaving no space for work or other troubles.
Not only this, but many candle making kits contain essential oils. These each offer individual benefits, many of which are therapeutic in different ways.
Why not spend an hour or two absorbed with the wax, before enjoying a hot bath, surrounded by scented candles?
Fun Exercise to Do With Kids
On a rainy day, it can be difficult deciding what to do with kids. Screen time is best limited, and there are only so many times they can redo a jigsaw. Besides, they love to be creative.
Well, you just found the perfect solution. Candle making is a great craft activity for kids – fun, artistic, and tickles the curiosity of children. It’s a fantastic way to spend an afternoon or several.
Of course, if the children are very young, they will need appropriate supervision to make candles.
Good for The Environment
Many of the best candle making kits out there include natural wax. There are soy candle kits as well as beeswax kits. Both are good for the environment.
While beeswax can work to purify the air, soy wax is especially eco-friendly. Completely vegan, it is also non-toxic, with the added bonus of a pleasant natural fragrance, smoothness and natural sparkle.
Make Money / Give as Gifts
On top of all the other benefits, you can make a little money on the side from this pastime! These kits include all you need to create stunning products, which can be readily sold at craft markets or online.
You can offer bespoke candles to customers, use stickers to create occasion-specific designs, or market your own, unique style.
Product Round-up and Reviews – Best Candle Making Kits
CraftZee Complete DIY
CraftZee’s complete candle making kit contains everything you need to make tin or container candles. The soy wax is eco-friendly and ethical, enabling you to make non-toxic creations and the kit includes detailed instructions, making it especially suited to those new to the craft.
With 4 different dye blocks and fragrances, you have plenty of variety and combinations to choose from. There are also 4 tins with lids: everything you need to get started.
- 4 different dye blocks and fragrances included to give you variety, as well as 4 tins with lids.
- Soy wax pouches offer eco-friendly, non-toxic creations.
- Detailed instructions are included, making it great for beginners.
Nature’s Blossom’s kit contains natural soy waxes that burn cleanly, for a long time. Each candle made with this kit can burn for around 20 hours. These candles really would make stunning gifts.
There are 3 relaxing fragrances included, along with wicks, a melting pot and a step by step guide.
- Each candle burns for 20 hours, so you can really enjoy your creation.
- 3 relaxing fragrances are included.
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic soy wax will burn cleanly.
YRYM HT Candle Making Kit
Not the easiest brand to pronounce, but fortunately, it’s the contents of the kit we’re interested in, not the name. And boy do you get a lot for your money!
Of course, you get a metal pouring pot, along with a 2.2lb bag of natural soy wax flakes, 4 scented oil bottles, and 4 round candle tins with lids. They throw in 50 cotton wicks, along with the usual stirring sticks (4 of them), 8 warning labels, and 4 bow tie clips. The scents are pretty good too: lavender, sweet orange, sandalwood, and sage.
In addition they include a wax thermometer, which is a nice bonus that even some of the more expensive kits fail to add.
- Digital thermometer
- Amazing value for money
DIY Soy Candle Making Kit
DIY’s soy candle making kit would make a perfect gift as it is, for those crafters or budding crafters in your life. With multiple containers of different sizes, as well as tealights, there’s a lot of candle making fun to be had with this kit.
There are also 3 different scents as well as 2 color blocks: orange and burgundy. It’s 100% soy, so you can enjoy it without guilt and it’s also very easy to get started with this set.
- Contains multiple containers of varying sizes as well as tealights.
- Lavender, lemongrass, and cedarwood are included to freshen up your (or your loved one’s) home.
- Contains 2 different color blocks (orange and burgundy).
This soy candle making kit by SOLIGT is superb if you love scented candles. There are 6 essential oils, 6 candle dyes as well as 6 stylish tin cans, which can give you or your loved one’s home a real boost.
The wax is 100% soy, so you can be guilt-free and the candles themselves come out smooth and slow-burning.
- Includes 6 essential oils, 6 candle dyes and 6 stylish tin cans to give your home a real boost.
- 100% soy candle wax.
- Smooth and slow-burning for maximum enjoyment.
Another soy candle making kit, this set by Dellabella includes 6 colors and 4 scents. You can really get creative here. On top of this, carving tools are included, allowing you to make unique shapes and patterns within the wax. I know a crafter or two whose eyes would light up at the thought.
The molds are reusable, which combined with the soy wax makes this product super-eco!
- Includes 6 colors and 4 scents so you can experience true variety.
- As well as the natural soy wax being eco-friendly, so are the reusable molds.
- Carving tools are included, to make unique shapes and patterns.
Yunuo light’s scented candle making kit is an excellent, premium product. There are 6 stylish tins, 6 colors and 6 essential oils included. Whilst it’s not soy wax, beeswax is offered here. This might not suit everyone, but it makes exceptional candles and also works to purify the air.
There are detailed instructions in this kit, sturdy tools, and a high-quality melting pot.
- 6 stylish tins, 6 colors, and 6 essential oils included.
- Beeswax pellets, which purify the air.
- Comes with detailed instructions, guiding you through each step.
The COCOPIN kit includes all the accessories you need to make stunning candles. Whilst wax, dyes, and fragrances aren’t included, what is there is of the highest quality. The food-grade is stainless steel, with a non-burn handle. As well as using it to melt wax, it will be well-suited to other crafts, cooking, and even making coffee.
You can melt a lot of wax in this pot, so it will be well-suited to those who want to make many candles in one go. Also included are 100 cotton wicks and glue dots, plus 10 bow clips.
- Food-grade pot, suitable for multiple purposes.
- Includes 100 cotton wicks and glue dots, plus 10 bow clips.
- 900ml capacity means you can melt and mix a lot of wax in one go.
This candle kit, by JIWINNER includes a fantastic amount of supplies. As well as 5 candle dyes and 4 essential oils, you get 7 stylish tins with this pack.
All the wax is non-toxic and eco-friendly, 100% soy, so you can enjoy it without any guilt. As well as the wax, dyes, oils and tins, you get a melting pot, stickers, and wicks in this set. It really is a ‘winner’, with the bonus of being affordable and great value for money.
- Comes with 7 stylish tins and lids, 5 candle dyes, and 4 essential oils.
- Natural soy wax is non-toxic and eco-friendly.
- Stickers, wicks, a melting pot and are also included.
This kit, aimed at children but also suited to adults with a sense of fun has everything you need for a rainy afternoon or two.
There are 7 molds, enabling candles of fun shapes including butterflies, hearts, and flowers. As well as this, the waxes are bright and colorful. They’re easy to work with and the kit includes instructions and a melting pot.
- 7 molds of different shapes including butterflies, hearts, and flowers.
- Bright, colorful waxes.
- Includes a melting cup and detailed instructions.
Another beeswax bundle, this kit contains high-quality, natural wax with a pleasant scent.
The kit doesn’t contain tools: just the wax and wicks, but it’s perfect for those who are looking for an organic and premium product. The wicks are made of natural hemp, helping the beeswax to purify the air.
If you’re the kind of buyer who likes to know exactly what you’re getting, this is the best candlemaking bundle for you.
Suited to: Candle-makers with experience and equipment who’d like to try beeswax.
- Beeswax, which purifies the air, plus natural hemp wicks.
- There’s a nice, natural scent to candles made with this wax.
- High-quality materials, suited to professionals.