Candles are great but can be astronomically expensive.
That’s where making your own comes in because if you’re willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in, there are some amazing candles you can make that would cost an arm and a leg to buy.
Do-it-yourself candle making is a fun and fulfilling hobby too. Whether it’s your own home you’d like to brighten, or other people’s, a homemade candle is always a welcome gift.
While shop-bought candles are often pleasant enough, those crafted by yourself have the benefits of your chosen scents, shapes, as well as tins and even stickers of your choice. On top of this, candle-making kits often use natural wax, which is non-toxic and ethical.
In this article, we let you in on which are best candle making kits available today. Let’s get cracking, shall we?
At a Glance – Our Choice of the Best Candle Making Kits On the Market
- CraftZee Complete DIY
- Nature’s Blossom
- DIY Soy Candle Making Kit
- Hearts and Crafts
- Yinuo Light (Best Premium Kit)
- Jiwinner (Best Budget Kit)
- Kraftzlab (Best for Kids)
- 23 Bees
Note: The links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Amazon. If you do purchase something we get a small commission, which has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What Will You Typically Find in a Candle Making Kit?
- Benefits of Making Your Own Candles
- Product Round-up and Reviews – Best Candle Making Kits
- So, Which Should I Buy?
What Will You Typically Find in a Candle Making Kit?
So what should you expect to get in one of these kits? Well here are the typical items you’d expect to find, but it does vary from one to the other, so see the reviews further down the page.
- Wax, varying by type (soy wax, beeswax, etc.) and amount
- Melting pot
- Wicks (usually cotton, but sometimes other materials such as hemp)
- Bow clips
- Dye blocks
- Jars and tins of different sizes (e.g. for tealights)
- Carving tools
- Temperature gauge
Benefits of Making Your Own Candles
If you’re not already sold, the benefits of making your own candles.
Compared to buying ready-made candles, making your own candles works out a lot more cost-effective.
Buying a kit is cost-effective too, as buying all the components you see on the list above, such as individual molds, can quickly stack up.
Like many crafts, candle making is also great therapy. As you create, feel your worries drift away. While you focus on the task, quite literally, in hand, your mind will become absorbed, leaving no space for work or other troubles.
Not only this, but many candle making kits contain essential oils. These each offer individual benefits, many of which are therapeutic in different ways.
Why not spend an hour or two absorbed with the wax, before enjoying a hot bath, surrounded by scented candles?
Fun Exercise to Do With Kids
On a rainy day, it can be difficult deciding what to do with kids. Screen time is best limited, and there are only so many times they can redo a jigsaw. Besides, they love to be creative.
Well, you just found the perfect solution. Candle making is a great craft activity for kids – fun, artistic, and tickles the curiosity of children. It’s a fantastic way to spend an afternoon or several.
Of course, if the children are very young, they will need appropriate supervision to make candles.
Good for The Environment
Many of the best candle making kits out there include natural wax. There are soy candle kits as well as beeswax kits. Both are good for the environment.
While beeswax can work to purify the air, soy wax is especially eco-friendly. Completely vegan, it is also non-toxic, with the added bonus of a pleasant natural fragrance, smoothness and natural sparkle.
Make Money / Give as Gifts
On top of all the other benefits, you can make a little money on the side from this pastime! These kits include all you need to create stunning products, which can be readily sold at craft markets or online.
You can offer bespoke candles to customers, use stickers to create occasion-specific designs, or market your own, unique style.
Product Round-up and Reviews – Best Candle Making Kits
CraftZee Complete DIY
CraftZee’s complete candle making kit contains everything you need to make tin or container candles. The soy wax is eco-friendly and ethical, enabling you to make non-toxic creations and the kit includes detailed instructions, making it especially suited to those new to the craft.
With 4 different dye blocks and fragrances, you have plenty of variety and combinations to choose from. There are also 4 tins with lids: everything you need to get started.
Suited to: Creative crafters who want to make a candle for every mood.
- 4 different dye blocks and fragrances included to give you variety, as well as 4 tins with lids.
- Soy wax pouches offer eco-friendly, non-toxic creations.
- Detailed instructions are included, making it great for beginners.
- You’re limited to container candles; soy wax is too soft to stand up.
- It’s a little pricey.
Nature’s Blossom’s kit contains natural soy waxes that burn cleanly, for a long time. Each candle made with this kit can burn for around 20 hours. These candles really would make stunning gifts.
There are 3 relaxing fragrances included, along with wicks, a melting pot and a step by step guide.
It’s a little pricey, but you do get some equipment in this kit that will last a long time.
Suited to: Those who want to create candles to help them relax.
- Each candle burns for 20 hours, so you can really enjoy your creation.
- 3 relaxing fragrances are included.
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic soy wax will burn cleanly and leave you guilt-free.
- You’re limited to container candles; soy wax is too soft to stand up.
- It’s a little pricey.
DIY Soy Candle Making Kit
DIY’s soy candle making kit would make a perfect gift as it is, for those crafters or budding crafters in your life. With multiple containers of different sizes, as well as tealights, there’s a lot of candle making fun to be had with this kit.
There are also 3 different scents as well as 2 color blocks: orange and burgundy. It’s 100% soy, so you can enjoy it without guilt and it’s also very easy to get started with this set.
Suited to: Those who would love to make candles of different shapes and sizes.
- Contains multiple containers of varying sizes as well as tealights.
- Lavender, lemongrass, and cedarwood are included to freshen up your (or your loved one’s) home.
- Contains 2 different color blocks (orange and burgundy).
- There are fewer color options than with some of the other kits.
- The finish can look a little patchy.
Hearts and Crafts
Hearts and Crafts’ DIY candle making kit can make around 35 candles. There are also 100 pre-waxed wicks in the set. It’s perfect for those who have grand, candle-icious visions!
It comes at a pretty good price, but be aware this set is just the candle supplies. If you’re looking for something with the equipment, such as the pot, that doesn’t come here.
This wax is brilliant, though, and if you’ve already got oils, a pot, and containers, it might be just what you need.
Suited to: More experienced candle-makers who already own some of the essential supplies.
- Natural soy wax flakes are non-toxic and easy to use.
- 100 pre-waxed wicks are included: enough for a lot of gifts!
- Using 5-oz jars, you can get around 35 candles from these supplies.
- You will have to source containers separately.
- There are no fragrance oils included.
This soy candle making kit by SOLIGT is superb if you love scented candles. There are 6 essential oils, 6 candle dyes as well as 6 stylish tin cans, which can give you or your loved one’s home a real boost.
The wax is 100% soy, so you can be guilt-free and the candles themselves come out smooth and slow-burning.
Suited to: Those looking for the ultimate in variety, with decorative tins!
- Includes 6 essential oils, 6 candle dyes and 6 stylish tin cans to give your home a real boost.
- 100% soy candle wax.
- Smooth and slow-burning for maximum enjoyment.
- It’s a bit pricey.
- The quirky, retro candle tins might not suit all crafters.
Another soy candle making kit, this set by Dellabella includes 6 colors and 4 scents. You can really get creative here. On top of this, carving tools are included, allowing you to make unique shapes and patterns within the wax. I know a crafter or two whose eyes would light up at the thought.
The molds are reusable, which combined with the soy wax makes this product super-eco!
Suited to: Creative crafters who like to carve shapes!
- Includes 6 colors and 4 scents so you can experience true variety.
- As well as the natural soy wax being eco-friendly, so are the reusable molds.
- Carving tools are included, to make unique shapes and patterns.
- Securing the wicks can be challenging.
- The included fragrances could be stronger.
Yunuo light’s scented candle making kit is an excellent, premium product. There are 6 stylish tins, 6 colors and 6 essential oils included. Whilst it’s not soy wax, beeswax is offered here. This might not suit everyone, but it makes exceptional candles and also works to purify the air.
There are detailed instructions in this kit, sturdy tools, and a high-quality melting pot.
Suited to: Candle-makers looking to purify the air and prettify their home.
- 6 stylish tins, 6 colors, and 6 essential oils included.
- Beeswax pellets, which purify the air.
- Comes with detailed instructions, guiding you through each step.
- Beeswax won’t suit those committed to using soy.
- It’s a bit pricey.
The COCOPIN kit includes all the accessories you need to make stunning candles. Whilst wax, dyes, and fragrances aren’t included, what is there is of the highest quality. The food-grade is stainless steel, with a non-burn handle. As well as using it to melt wax, it will be well-suited to other crafts, cooking, and even making coffee.
You can melt a lot of wax in this pot, so it will be well-suited to those who want to make many candles in one go. Also included are 100 cotton wicks and glue dots, plus 10 bow clips.
Suited to: Seasoned candle-makers looking to upgrade their kit.
- Food-grade pot, suitable for multiple purposes.
- Includes 100 cotton wicks and glue dots, plus 10 bow clips.
- 900ml capacity means you can melt and mix a lot of wax in one go.
- This set is accessories: you’ll need to buy wax, dyes and fragrances separately.
- The wicks don’t match the quality of the rest of the kit.
This candle kit, by JIWINNER includes a fantastic amount of supplies. As well as 5 candle dyes and 4 essential oils, you get 7 stylish tins with this pack.
All the wax is non-toxic and eco-friendly, 100% soy, so you can enjoy it without any guilt. As well as the wax, dyes, oils and tins, you get a melting pot, stickers, and wicks in this set. It really is a ‘winner’, with the bonus of being affordable and great value for money.
Suited to: Newbies to candle-making who want everything they need to get started.
- Comes with 7 stylish tins and lids, 5 candle dyes, and 4 essential oils.
- Natural soy wax is non-toxic and eco-friendly.
- Stickers, wicks, a melting pot and are also included.
- The patterned boxes might not suit everyone’s taste.
- There can be some frosting on the candles when they’re complete.
This kit, aimed at children but also suited to adults with a sense of fun has everything you need for a rainy afternoon or two.
There are 7 molds, enabling candles of fun shapes including butterflies, hearts, and flowers. As well as this, the waxes are bright and colorful. They’re easy to work with and the kit includes instructions and a melting pot.
Suited to: Children and vibrant adults with a sense of fun.
- 7 molds of different shapes including butterflies, hearts, and flowers.
- Bright, colorful waxes.
- Includes a melting cup and detailed instructions.
- Whilst it’s great for children, this kit won’t suit all adults.
- The instruction booklet could be clearer.
Another beeswax bundle, this kit contains high-quality, natural wax with a pleasant scent.
The kit doesn’t contain tools: just the wax and wicks, but it’s perfect for those who are looking for an organic and premium product. The wicks are made of natural hemp, helping the beeswax to purify the air.
If you’re the kind of buyer who likes to know exactly what you’re getting, this is the best candlemaking bundle for you.
Suited to: Candle-makers with experience and equipment who’d like to try beeswax.
- Beeswax, which purifies the air, plus natural hemp wicks.
- There’s a nice, natural scent to candles made with this wax.
- High-quality materials, suited to professionals.
- This kit doesn’t contain tools, just the wax, and wicks.
- It’s pretty pricey.
So, Which Should I Buy?
As you can see, there are a massive amount of kits out there! It’s almost as though a candle making revolution is occurring. But whilst some kits are suited to more experienced makers, there are some that scream ‘beginner’. Which one’s right for you?
If you’re looking for a kit that contains everything you need, Craftzee, Nature’s Blossom, Yinuo Light and Jiwinner’s sets are some stunning options. Whilst the Yinuo set is beeswax, the others are soy. Soy is 100% vegan and eco-friendly, but beeswax does boast some air-purifying qualities as well as being totally organic.
Those who are already seasoned crafters might prefer one of the kits that contain just equipment, or just supplies. The Bees Organic and Hearts and Crafts kits contain all the high-quality wax and wicks supplies you could need, whilst the Cocopin kit has a high-quality mixing pot, plus tools.
Whichever candle making kit you decide is best for you, we hope you have a fantastic time on your crafty, creative adventures.