We’ve all been there, sat in front of a computer, or stood inside a Yankee Candle store, lost in the abundance of shapes and scents trying to decide which is right for you.
To help you out, we’ve put together this huge guide to the world of Yankee Candles. We walk you through the different types and scents available.
- What are Yankee Candles?
- 30 Best Yankee Candle Scents
- Buyer’s Guide – Key Considerations Before You Purchase
- That’s a Wrap!
What are Yankee Candles?
Yankee Candles is a brand of candles that have been growing in popularity since their modest beginnings in 1969.
As a brand, they position themselves as ‘the most recognized name in the candle business and the country’s best-selling candle brand’ (referring to the US, of course).
And it’s not hard to see why! With over 150 different fragrance variations, you’ll be hard-pressed to find another company that has had so much success in the candle-making business.
30 Best Yankee Candle Scents
Now it’s time to start deciding on which candle you’ll be burning tonight!
Here, we’ve compiled a list of our top 30 Yankee Candles. We’ve decided not to place them into any particular order, but have placed them into four key themes (Floral, Nature, Food, Seasonal).
It’s not surprising that floral candles are popular. Here are our top seven choices of floral-scented Yankee Candles!
The scent of Lavender has long been associated with practices of healing and relaxation – so it’s not surprising that this scent has made it onto our list! Add in a fresh hint of citrus lemon and you have a match made in heaven! This is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to sit back and spend an afternoon relaxing.
Fresh Cut Roses
You can’t beat a traditional scent and Fresh Cut Roses is probably the most original floral fragrance available. This candle will place you in the middle of a quaint English country garden, surrounded by beautiful sweet-smelling roses, all in the comfort of your own home!
Here’s another strong contender on our list of floral candles! This candle mixes the aromas of soothing lavender and lilacs to create a beautifully delicate scent. Add to it the smells of Bergamot, Hyacinth, and Cedar leaf and you’re onto a winner! It’s the perfect choice for anyone who loves a mixed floral fragrance.
With a sweet scent of floral jasmine, lavender, and ylang-ylang, as well as blackberries and pomegranate, the Moonlit Blossom candle is a great pick for those after a complex smelling candle. Why not take a journey through the moonlight and enjoy this candle in your home!
If you’re after the perfect wedding table candle, then look no further! Blush Bouquet has a beautiful mix of fragrances including peonies, cherry blossoms, and sweet peas. Why not dot a few of these around the celebrations on your special day, then be reminded of your happy memories every time you light one!
Sun-Drenched Apricot Rose
If you’re anything like me, anything with that smells of apricot is a winner. Add in roses and nectarine blossoms and I’m sold! Altogether, the mix of zingy citrus and sweet perfume combine to create a fresh but alluring blend. Perfect for a sunny afternoon!
For some, the strong and exotic flavor of this candle may be too overwhelming. But, mixed with the sugary sweetness of vanilla, clove, and cinnamon, this is the perfect mix for those cold winter nights. It definitely deserves a place on our list!
If a candle inspired by nature is more to your taste, then why not try one of these. . .
If you’re looking for that special purchase to remind you of a sunny day at the beach, this is a great choice of candle. With hints of saltwater, tangerine, and orange blossom, the mix of sweet and salty combine to create the mental image of crossing those sandy shores on your fantasy vacation.
We’re escaping to the great outdoors with this scent. Think fresh rain on a forest or meadow and you’ll get a good image of what this candle represents. Meadow Showers has a mix of cedarwood, green notes, and citrus. Why don’t you take a walk through the woods today?
The Clean Cotton candle leaves behind all of those heavy smells and gives a great sense of freshness. Combining fragrances of bergamot, lily of the valley, roses, and leafy greens, this is a great option for those who want to revive a room. If your home needs a bit of fresh air, then this would be the ideal choice for you.
There’s nothing more relaxing than chilling outside in the sunlight. If this is your idea of a perfect day then Catching Rays is definitely your perfect candle! The notes of orange, lavender, and moss blend together and provide you with the amazing experience of catching some sunlight – which is especially helpful when you’re stuck inside!
Not made it away on holiday yet? Or just wishing that you could go away again? Bahama Breeze will transport you to your amazing holiday getaway (figuratively of course!) If you like your candles to smell fruity, then this one has it all – pineapple, passionfruit, mango, and peach. So light your candle, sit back, and enjoy a mini-break all from the comfort of your sofa.
Here’s another one for all you beach lovers out there! Coconut is a great fragrance for transporting you mentally to that faraway stretch of sand, and when you add in hints of pineapple and vanilla, you’ll be longing for that holiday away.
We’ve covered some great fresh and fruity nature-themed scents, but this one is a little different. The Midsummer’s Night candle is for those who like a heavier and heady scent to their candles. With a note of bergamot, patchouli, sage, and juniper berries, you’ll be transported into a thick forest of cedar woods.
There’s just something mouth-wateringly tasty about food scented candles! Certainly, these rank high on my own personal list, and if you are partial to a food-inspired candle, look no further than these!
There’s something delicious about this one. Goji berries, blackberries, blueberries, and vanilla – it just sounds so yummy! If you’re a big fan of berries, then you can’t go wrong with this candle! Just thinking about it makes me want dessert – which can’t be wrong, can it?
Sugar & Spice
. . .and all things nice! This candle should (and probably could) feature in the seasonal list. All of that cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg make for a very Christmassy combination. But I think with the addition of butter, sugar, and vanilla, this one definitely should rank quite high on our food list. It’s a sugar rush in candle form!
Home Sweet Home
Home is where the heart is, and this sweet and spicy creation is the perfect addition to yours! If you are looking for a candle to spread the fragrances of baking in your home, then look no further. Mixing tones of apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cherry, the Home Sweet Home candle will get you feeling all warm and cozy in no time.
I personally love the scent of vanilla. Simple yet sweet, it’s one of my favorite candle scents. If you’re like me and enjoy a more traditional fragrance, the notes of vanilla bean and butter in this Yankee Candle will be a great addition to your home.
Strawberry Lemon Ice
This little creation made it onto our list quite easily. Who doesn’t love the sugary mixture of strawberry, lemons, and sugar? If you’re looking for a light, sweet, and fresh new fragrance, then I guess you know which one you’ll be choosing, right?
Fruit smelling candles are a great way of introducing fresh and interesting flavors to your room of choice. Not only do they help mask any unpleasant odors, but they smell delicious too! Here, we have notes of orange, clementine, and honey – a trio of scents that combine to leave you hungry for more!
This one is for all of you who love your Lemon Pies! Fresh and fruity, the mix of lemon zest, vanilla, and sugar will revive your room and leave you lusting for another slice!
Café Al Fresco
If you love your coffee and your all-time favorite place to be is sitting in a bistro sipping your favorite hot beverage, then this is the candle for you! With a mix of sweet cinnamon, milky cappuccino, sugar, and a dollop of caramel, this delightful creation will submerge you into your favorite café right in the comfort of your own home.
Onto the fun part! It’s time for the seasonal list. If you’re looking for a candle to add a little seasonal cheer to your home, these would be a great purchase for you.
Yes, that’s right, you read that correctly – Christmas Cookies! What’s Christmas without cookies? Do I need to say more? With notes of vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar, you can burn this candle all year round and live your best Christmas life 365 days a year!
There’s nothing more exciting to me than autumn – because that means we are one step closer to Halloween! The Autumn Leaves candle mixes hints of pomegranate, rosemary, and dried persimmon tree leaves to leave you with a woody flavor. If you’re looking for that smell that reminds you of walking through leaves in autumn, then this is the candle for you.
There’s something joyful about pumpkin carving season – and this candle is a great reminder of that! With notes of apple, orange, baked pumpkin, cinnamon, and caramelized sugar, you’ll be reminded of your favorite autumn pastime on every occasion you light it.
Thanksgiving is the time of the year we all come together to celebrate. The Cranberry Chutney candle has hints of ripened raspberry, cranberry, black cherry, and orange flower. Once lit, it’ll transform your home and remind you of all those great times you sat around the Thanksgiving table with your loved ones.
Cinnamon Stick is a great candle for those who love Christmas! With traditional fragrances of cinnamon stick, clove, cardamom, and bay leaf, it’s a great choice for those who love a sweet and spicy candle. If you’re sat at home dreaming of Christmas, why not add this to your collection?
Sugared Pumpkin Swirl
For those of us who like to be reminded of the fun side of autumn, this candle has it all! Caramel drizzle, raw pumpkin puree, honey, and vanilla all combine to create a sweet-smelling perfume. It’s the perfect candle to take us back to those days as a kid when we reveled in all that was Halloween.
If you haven’t guessed it yet, Autumn is a popular time of the year for inspiring candles! The Autumn Wreath candle is a fruity addition to the mix, with notes of apple, cinnamon, clove, and vanilla. It’s the ideal choice for those who want something a little bit different.
Magical Frosted Forest
Take a walk through the magical woods, all from the comfort of your own home. The Magical Frosted Forest is a woody scented candle, mixing together icy eucalyptus, frozen strawberry leaf, and raspberry ice, as well as pine needles and white cedar. If you’re looking for something to remind you of a magical Christmas, then you can’t go wrong with this one!
Buyer’s Guide – Key Considerations Before You Purchase
Types of Yankee Candle
Before you even get to the smells, deciding on what format you want your candle can be a feat in itself.
So, what are the different types of Yankee Candle available?
- Tea-Lights – one of the smallest formats available to buy. With a burn time of 4 to 6 hours, these would look great decorating your bedroom or bathroom. They may be small, but they certainly pack a punch!
- Yankee Candle Minis – a cute way to bring your love of candles into your home. Small but mighty, these have a burn time of 7 to 10 hours. Plus, each one comes in an adorable little presentation box! If you’re looking for the perfect small candle or a little something for a loved one, why not pick up a mini candle?
- Sampler Votive – This is one of the smallest types of Yankee Candle, weighing in at 1.17oz. It’s a great choice for those who want to test out a scent before committing to a larger candle. With a burn time of 15 hours, you could use the Sampler Votive as part of a table display (think wedding or major party event!) or even gift it to a loved one. But remember, unlike most of the other styles the Sample Votive is not encased in glass, so you’ll need to make sure it’s burned inside a suitable container.
- Small Classic Jar – We’re getting into familiar territory with this one. Encased in their well-known glass design, the Small Classic Jar has a burn time of 20 to 30 hours and weighs 3.7oz. Perfect for home décor, the great thing is that your candle is encased in thick and sturdy glass – so no need to worry about cleaning up any spilled wax.
- Medium Classic Jar – This is the next size up and the perfect option for those that like a particular fragrance, but won’t be burning it for long periods of time. With a burn time of 65 to 75 hours.
- Large Classic Jar – For when you’ve found the candle scent of your dreams! This behemoth has a burn time of 110 to 150 hours and is great for all those evenings sitting at home, relaxing, and enjoying a good book.
- Large Tumbler – The Large Tumbler is a little different to the Classic Jar. Opting instead to have a more contemporary look, this sleek candle (with a removable metal lid) would look perfect in any modern home. With a burn time of 75 to 110 hours, this candle also breaks the mold with its double wick design.
- Medium Perfect Pillar – Another great option for a modern looking Candle. The Perfect Pillar Candle has a burn time of 80 to 110 hours and is perfect for display purposes. If you’re looking for the ideal table display or one to show on your sleek and modern mantelpiece, the Pillar Candle is definitely the one for you!
Once you’ve settled on the style of your candle, it’s a great idea to have a think about what you want its scent to be. With so many fragrances to choose from you could be searching all day, so to help you decide, consider what aromas you prefer.
If you like natural and more modest smells, then it’s probably a good idea to stick to the candles which encase a floral scent. If you like smells associated with Christmas or autumn, then a seasonal candle would be a great option for you.
The point I’m trying to make is, whilst everyone has their own preferences on what smells good, for your first few Yankee Candles, stick with what you know. Trust me; there’ll be plenty of time to experiment with a few of the more unique scents in the future!
Before you light any of your chosen candles, it would be remiss of me to let you go without covering the basic Health and Safety points.
So, what should you know before you start burning your Yankee Candle?
- Never leave a candle unattended – You should never leave the room with a candle still alight. If you’re leaving your candle (even for the shortest amount of time) extinguish the flame and relight it again when you return.
- Keep out of the reach of children – It’s a well-known fact that children are attracted to shiny and bright things. Make sure your candle (and your matches!) are well out of arms reach where little ones are concerned.
- Choosing a good place to burn your candle – Before you light your candle; make sure that it is on a heat-resistant, flat, and stable surface. You don’t want your candle to topple over – not only will hot wax go everywhere, but it could cause an unintended fire. Picking a sensible place to burn your candle is also the key to a great experience – you don’t want to keep having to relight your candle when a draft keeps blowing it out!
- Packaging and containers – While you can’t remove everything, all plastic, cardboard boxes, and lids should be removed before you start to burn your candle. Remember be careful with your containers – most of them are glass and can break if you don’t handle them with care! If your glass container does break or crack, stop using your candle immediately. Your container might also become hot after use, so once you’ve blown out your candle leave them to cool for a while.
- Take care of your candle – To get the optimum burn; you’ll want to look after your candle. Follow these simple instructions to keep your candle in a good condition. Store it in a cool dry place and make sure it does not come into contact with extreme cold or heat – this can affect both the wax and the container. Trim the wick of your candle after use. Most candles come with instructions on how much you should do this – or you could search online to find out more. Remove any debris or dust from around the wick of your candle before you light it.
That’s a Wrap!
Well, actually no it’s a candle! Now we’ve covered our top 30 Yankee Candles, the decision is yours. Will you treat yourself to a delicate fragrance such as French Vanilla or indulge in all that is Sugared Pumpkin Swirl?
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, so my advice would be to test and trail those candles which are most compatible to your tastes. If you’re unsure, you could always buy a sampler votive or small classic jar.
Just remember to have fun with your selection, but stay safe whilst using it!