If you are wondering which soy wax to buy for candle making, you’re in the right place!
In this article, I will be focusing on why should you use it, what to look for and my choices for the best soy wax for candle making.
At a Glance: Our Choice of the 5 Best Soy Wax for Candle Making On the Market
- The Candlemaker’s Store Natural Soy Wax
- Akosoy Natural Soy Wax (Editor’s Choice)
- CandleScience All Natural
- Golden Foods Natural Soy 415
- 100% Midwest Soy Wax
Note: The links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Amazon. If you do purchase something we get a small commission, which has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay.
Buyer’s Tips: What you need to know when buying the best soy wax for candle making
Soy is one of the best waxes to use in candles. There are a few reasons for this:
- No black soot- cheaper waxes, like paraffin, when burnt can produce some unsightly black soot which can affect the smell of clothes and can even tarnish wallpaper!
- Longer burn- soy wax lasts longer. The flame will burn on average 50% longer than regular candles
- All natural baby! Soy is made from vegetable oil (soybeans) whereas paraffin is made from petroleum oil
- Non-toxic- Soy candles do not increase the CO2 levels in the atmosphere; they burn much cleaner.
- Hot, hot, hot! Actually they’re not. Soy wax tends to burn at a much lower heat than paraffin allowing it to be pet, child and accident-prone adult friendly.
What Should I Look For?
- Simple packaging means simple wax. You want an easy format so you’re not cutting off various chunks of wax.
- Price: Just because soy is best doesn’t mean you have to spend loads, always look for a good bargain.
- Adaptable: You want the wax to adapt to a variety of molds. Some soy wax makes are great for different containers such as pillars or votives. Always check before you buy.
If you’re not sure how to make soy candles at home, here is a quick video to show you how easy it is:
Get all that in your head? Right then, on with the show. Here are my picks for the 5 best soy wax for candle making!
5 Best Soy Wax For Candle Making
1. The Candlemaker’s Store Natural Soy Wax
This 10lb bag is fantastic purely because of how much you get for the price. You can easily create dozens of mason jar candles (Christmas present time!). The wax comes in easy to melt chips which allows for quick measuring; no chipping with the craft knife for hours! It can hold up to 15% fragrance while still holding its shape and consistency.
- Bang for your buck
- In chips already, quick to measure out and melt
- Great natural scent
- Large amount if you only want to make a couple of candles
- Not the best for freestanding candles
- Not the best for smaller candles like votives
2. Akosoy Natural Soy Wax
This 3 pound bag is perfect for beginners. You can make roughly 4 or 5 mason jars. Akosoy Natural wax is just that, natural. There is no scent here candle makers. So for any pine fresh or pineapple scent lovers out there, you have to do the work. Wax flakes are included which makes for easy, no fuss melting.
- Flaked wax is extremely easy to melt
- Smaller bags perfect for beginners
- Scentless for those wanting to add their own
- Price is average; a third of the size of the Candlemakers for half the price
- Scentless, you have to add your own
3. CandleScience All Natural
This logical company sell the 5lb product measured out neatly into 1lb bags. Your task is simply to mix one bag with 1 ounce of fragrance oil. Very simple but not very cheap. You will pay almost as much as the Candlemaker’s product for half the wax. This comes in flake form again for easy melting and is suitable for containers such as jars, tins and tealights.
- Pre-measured bags
- Flake form
- Small amount of scent
4. Golden Foods Natural Soy 415
This natural, no scent soy wax is in a different league to the others on this list. The reason being: this wax should be blended with paraffin wax to get the best outcome. It can be used on its own but some frosting may occur which makes it look less than perfect. However, if blended properly, this soy wax makes candles look every inch as special as those sold in shops.
- Can make excellent looking candles
- Flake form
- Can make a few candles from this 1lb bag
- Needs to be blended to get quality looking candles
5. 100% Midwest Soy Wax
Made from 100% organic soybeans, the Midwest brand is for eco-warriors. Fine flakes are contained within a 5lb bag. Very easy to melt and pour, these flakes can suit a wide variety of molds and containers.
- Organic and natural
- Flakes easy to melt
- 5lb bag enough to make several candles
- Not the cheapest
So what is the best soy wax for candle making?
Making candles with soy wax is ideal for those wanting a natural look and smell to their home while having a little crafty fun. Which soy wax you buy depends mostly on your budget and how many candles you wish to make. Are you a beginner who wants a lot of wax to play with? Try the Candlemakers wax. If you have a little extra in your budget and want professional looking candles, buy Golden Foods.
Overall, my winner for the best soy wax for candle making has to go to Akosoy. A smaller 3lb bag won’t overwhelm beginners but is enough to make a few candles. It comes in flakes for easy melting and measuring. It isn’t the cheapest on the list but it is still great value for the quality of soy wax you get.
If soy candle making has captured your imagination the following video is definitely worth checking out for a few tips: