It might seem like a daunting task to get into hand lettering. You may have seen a beautifully written sign, or a chapter in an old book and fancied a go. Looking at the words crafted in different styles is exciting and wonderful to behold. But, with practise, you can soon be completing hand lettering like a pro. The most important tool in this hobby? The pen. Read on for tips, tricks and my picks for the best pens for beginner hand lettering.
They do seem to be everywhere now. Hand lettering has become a popular thing over the last few years, with pubs, shops and national campaigns taking a chance. With its newfound popularity, it has become a lot easier to find and purchase quality pens.
The first question a lot of people might ask about buying a pen is, are they expensive? The price does play an important factor. You DO NOT have to spend loads to be good at hand lettering. The cheapest pen is awesome for practise. Yes, if you have the money and love the hobby, by all means go out and buy a beautiful pen. But don’t think money will automatically increase your skill. Only practise can do that.
At a Glance: Our Choice of the 5 Best Pens For Beginner Hand Lettering On the Market
Staedtler (Editor's Choice)
Note: The links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Amazon. If you do purchase something we get a small commission, which has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay.
What Do I Need?
The basic essentials to hand lettering are:
Pens (or pencils)
That’s it folks. You really don’t have to spend much to get into this craft.
What Do Newbies Need?
Again, just the essentials really. Most people will have paper and a ruler in their homes. If not, they are extremely cheap to buy. Either order online or buy cheap from the supermarket.
A pen is the tool you should spend the most time researching; the tool to take care of. Here are a few tips to look out for when buying a new pen as a beginner.
Price: Already mentioned, I know, but it’s a biggie. You really don’t need to break the bank when buying a pen for hand lettering.
Nibs: Pens usually come with either small or large brush nibs. Sometimes you can get dual nibs. For beginners, I would recommend small nibs. They are easier to get to grips with before venturing into thicker lines.
Soft or Hard Tip: Either one is fine. Most beginners will lean towards using one over the other. It’s all a matter of preference. If you’re lucky, buy a set which has both tips in.
Now you have more of an idea on what you might need for hand lettering, here are my picks for the best pens.
Best Pens For Beginner Hand Lettering
If you search for any type of hand lettering pens or walkthroughs, you will most likely come across the Tombow Fudenosuke brand. They are extremely popular for all forms of hand lettering and calligraphy. For good reason. This particular set has two pens, one with a soft tip, the other hard tip. This is so you can create extra fine lines or medium lines, depending on your preference.
Pigmented black ink is included here. You will be able to create some awesome hand lettering outlines, ready to color in or leave as black and white. The price is quite good, considering how awesome Tombow are as a brand.
- Contains both the soft and hard tip Fudenosuke Brush Pens
- Features a flexible brush tip for different lettering and drawing techniques
- Create extra fine, fine or medium strokes by a change in brush pressure
- Great for calligraphy and art drawings
- Soft tip and hard tip water based, pigmented black ink
Staedtler is a ridiculously well known brand. You may pay a bit more for these sets, but you know you will be getting a good quality pen. This 12 pen set includes a variety of colors, all of which are dye-based ink colors, which makes them great for blending.
The nibs are all dual tipped, great for mixing up fine and thick brush strokes. Staedtler have created a good little set for hand lettering.
- For expressive hand lettering styles with thick or thin strokes
- One marker - two tips, flexible brush and fine tip
- Scope of delivery: Set of 12 double-ended brush lettering markers in assorted colors
- Intense, dye-based ink colors are easy to blend together
- Durable foam brush tip will not tear or fray after extended use
Metallic art brushes are lovely for those wanting a little sparkle in their hand lettering. This 10 piece set has a rich variety of colors including gold, silver, purple and brown. These pens are made to a high quality.
These Artbrush Tower pens may be slightly more expensive than others for the amount of pens you get. However, the ink quality is beautiful and makes your lettering really POP.
- WHAT YOU GET: 10 Piece metallic brush marker packed by a strong pp box with one black instruction card include
- RICH VARIETY COLOR: Set of 10 Color, Gold, Silver, White, Pink, Olive, Green, Blue, Black, Purple and Brown
- METALLIC MARKER: Flexible brush tip metallic marker pen, Water-based and Non-toxic Ink ( Not Permanent Marker ), No harm to your body
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Rich Metallic color, fine metallic marker pen for black cardstock and greeting card, Art Calligraphy Letter Design
- WARRANTY AND SERVICE: 3-year warranty, 24-hour online customer service, 90-day money back policy. You can get a full refund if you are not satisfied with it unconditionally. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Customer satisfaction is on our top priority
This Smartcolor set is the option for the best ‘bang for your buck’. There are 48 pens for this set. That’s right, 48 pens. They are all dual tipped, so you really do get a lot of choice here. The dual tips allow you to really experience both thin and thick lines in your lettering. The 48 unique colors are great for anyone wishing to color, draw or letter. The sheer amount of choice is awesome for the price.
The water based ink is quick drying, odorless and toxic free. Great purchase for kids, as well as big kids. The price also gets you a convenient case, pop the pens in the case and take them anywhere you wish.
- DUAL TIP: Brush and fineliner tips(0.4mm) allow you to draw with both fine and broad lines and even try shading.
- COLORS AND FUNCTION: We have 48 UNIQUE COLORS which are perfect for coloring, art, illustrations, doodling, journaling, hand lettering and more.
- HIGH QUALITY AND SAFE: Our water based ink is quick-drying, odorless, and smooth for writing and coloring. The ink is Acid-Free & Non-Toxic and Conforms to ASTM D-4236.
- CONVIENT CASE: Good packaging for storing and taking out. Displaying each pen in the exclusive place, good for showing and easy for picking.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied with our product, You will get a satisfied solution or a Full Refund.
The Artline set has 3 separate pens with different sized nibs. These include 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0mm nibs. The pens have an ergonomic grip so they are comfortable to hold for a length of time. The price might seem expensive for only 3 pens, but the quality is there.
The different sized nibs are useful for anyone wanting to try calligraphy in hand lettering. You can get used to how different brush strokes feel with several thicknesses. The nibs are made so they are non dripping and leaking. This is incredibly useful as hand lettering is all about practise and trying different things.
- Artline Ergoline Calligraphy Fountain Pen 100% Original - Brand New Series - Artline Ergoline Calligraphy Fountain Pen The package includes 1.0mm, 2.0mm, 3.00mm thickness of Calligraphy Nibs for this pen package Body Material : Plastic Mechanism : Cap On and Cap Off Artline Ergoline Calligraphy pens are perfect for lettering & decoration Special grip zone with rounded & triangular section is designed to give maximum comfort & control in writing. Polyster nibs have an advantage of not dipping, not leaking & disposable in nature. Chiseled polyster nib are available in 1.00mm, 2.0mm & 3.00mm lines. The special ink used is water based, Dyestuff & Xylene free.